Skip to main content

A Place to be Uncertain


In my kitchen cabinet, over the hyperbolically named coffee counter, is a mug. It's a cartoon, with cartoon font, and it says, "I'm 40, I ought to have more money by now."

It was given to my husband by his sister, his younger sister, a number of years ago. It was supposed to be a joke, funny.

But the only actually funny thing about 40 and beyond is that saying is sort of an ironic mantra. By now, you're supposed to have a lot more of everything: money, patience, perspective, wisdom, answers. Certainty.

I walk through each day feeling very I don't know-ish and everyone really looks to me to be quite certain. I answer calls each day to provide something. I want to turn to everyone and ask what I should do, what I should be, is this where I am supposed to be, is this it? Instead each time I turn to ask, instead someone asks me and I realize I am past the asking, as far as phase is concerned.

So as much as I feel very much in the thrall of a second adolescence, instead of being on the receiving end, I am on the giving end of life.

A very fast-paced life. I want a pause button to hit. I want to be able to say let's take a breath here. I want to be able to take a big risk and fail.

But the thing about after 40 is it's really a space that wants solid ground beneath it. It wants a clear path, with way points. I'm ages past being on my own journey, now I'm a conductor responsible for the well-being of those on my track.

I spend each day making a million little decisions, being decisive, figuring out things, being certain. It's a myth, really.

I'll tell you the truth -- I watch you and you look pretty certain. You seem to have it figured out. I think you know what you're doing. I bet you don't read the "what you ought to do by now" news articles and mugs and feel like you've let down some major principle of this time of life. You probably hear morality tales about the "what not to do" and feel relieved.

Not me.

The only thing I am certain of is that I'm uncertain.

I've been on a marathon run and I am winded. I want to stop here, take a breath. I want to figure out if I want to keep running, why am I running, do I want to go where I was headed? I want to be uncertain. I want to get some water, maybe a banana, and think on it. I'd like to walk a while.

I'm tangled up in time, though, and if I stop it will drag me. So there it is: fear and uncertainty. Fatal flaws at 40 and up.

It makes people uncomfortable, these things. I know it does. So I will tuck it into a pocket somewhere and carry on, making decisions. Just in case you are looking at me, though, do not figure I know what I am doing. I'm fairly uncertain and this is who, what, when, where and how I need to be just now.

Comments

MARY G said…
Starting a new decade, a new age group, is always hard. I always felt like a newbie with no road map. And 40 was particularly hard for me, as I got fired from a job I loved and thought I was doing okay at.
Yeah, I was afraid.
Your kids need you to be solid, as they go through their teens, your husband needs you for an anchor as he copes with middle age. Not much 'you' time.
I don't have a lot of good advice, Julie. You would think at 70 I would have learned something, but each decade has its own uncertainties.
What helped me, a lot, at your age was taking a vacation, by myself. I took three weeks, went to England, rented a little car and drove around to many of the landmarks from my English Lit courses. I showed myself I could cope - with wrong side driving, solo navigation, all that.
This may not be your solution, but some new activity would help, I bet. Think of something on your bucket list and do it.
Hugs! And lots of sympathy.
StarTraci said…
You always look to me like you have it going on. I feel stuck on mile 20 of the marathon -- full on in the burn but without ever reaching a finish line. I don't have money or patience or a higher understanding. I do have wrinkles and freckles and other external signs of aging that do not reflect internal growth. I guess we'll just stay teenagers together.
XOXO
Jardinero1 said…
"if you don’t chase the train, you don’t get frustrated by missing the train" - Nassim Nicholas Taleb

I agree with you that nobody really knows. Stop chasing trains and otherwise trying to keep up with what other people say you should be doing.

Popular posts from this blog

In defense of vanity...I think

Do you have one of those issues where you argue with yourself? Where you just aren't sure what you actually think because there are so many messages and opinions on the topic around you? I have more than one like this. However, there is one topic that has been struggling to the top of my mind recently: vanity and perceived vanity. Can vanity be a good thing? Vanity has historically been truly reviled. Vanity is number seven of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's the doppleganger of number seven on the Seven Holy Virtues list: humility. There are many moralistic tales of how vanity makes you evil and brings about a spectacular downfall. Consider the lady who bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth. Google Borgia+vanity and find plenty. The Brothers Grimm and Disney got in on the act too. The Disney message seems to be: the truly beautiful don't need to be vain. They are just naturally eye-catchingly gorgeous. And they are all gorgeous. Show me the Reubenesque Princess.

Cancer's Calling Card

Foreword: I'm not a medical person, or any kind of expert. This post shouldn't be taken as God's word carved in stone by Moses. In other words, don't consider it to be any kind of authority or use it to treat, diagnose, or select medications. Do your own research and talk to your doctor, an actual expert, who, you know, went to medical school and stuff. This post is merely my best understanding of cancer and cancer treatment and prevention, as related to our situation, based on what I've learned from reading and talking to doctors. Author's Note: If you aren't interested in the cancer discussion and the things I learned, and only want to know the outcome of our appointment with the oncologist yesterday, skip to the end. I've divvied this up by sections, so go to the last section. What would you do if one day a postcard arrived in the mail to warn you that sometime in the next three years you would be diagnosed with cancer? Would you believe it? Change an

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

After being confronted with written evidence, Julie admits that she is a total attention whore. In some things, in some ways, sometimes I look outward for validation of my worth and existence. I admit it. It's my weak spot, my vanity spot . If you say I am clever, comment on a post, offer me an award, mention me on your blog, reply to a comment I left on your blog, or in any way flatter me as a writer...I am hopelessly, slavishly devoted to you. I will probably even add you to my blogroll just so everyone can see the list of all the cool kids who actually like me . The girl, she knows she is vain in this regard , but after much vanity discussion and navel-gazing , she has decided to love herself anyway, as she is (ironically) and will keep searching for (1) internal validation and (2) her first person . Until I reach a better point of self-actualization, though, may I just say that this week you people have been better than prozac and chocolate (together, with a side of white choc